Thursday, February 4, 2016

My take on GMO (genetically modified organisms).

One of the big debates these days is the labeling of foods that are either wholly genetically modified or contain components that are genetically modified.  I am not going to go into the whole "this person said or that person" said thing.  That can be left to others.  My take on the whole thing is that I want to know what is in the food, supplements, water, and so on that go into my body and those of my family, including the family pets.  It is my right to know, plain and simple.  Not just on the GMO front, but on everything I use.  That is why I make the choice for natural and organic as often as possible.

If GMO's, synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides, and so on are so safe, why do manufacturers want to hide their use from us?  If I want to decide not to ingest things that have been touched by these or contain these, why can't I make that choice for myself?  I have friends that believe that I am crazy to care so much about this issue.  I don't try to force my views on them.  If and when they ask, I simply state my case of garbage in garbage out and point them to readily available statistics that place the health of those in the United States below that of some third world countries.

Maybe the problem is that I look at this issue in too simplistic a way.  I believe that I should educate myself and then make a decision, based on what I believe is best for me and my family.  My family has the choice to do the same.  I think simple foods with simple ingredients are the best thing to put in my body.  Mother Nature has a good track record of creating nourishment for the inhabitants of this planet without human's help.  In fact, in my opinion, our mother has done amazingly well even in the last few generations when it seems, in retrospect, that humanity has done its best to destroy this fragile home we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment